Over the opening weekend, the physical version of Final Fantasy XVI for PlayStation 5 attracted 31,400 buyers in the UK.
In retail, the game started 74% worse than Final Fantasy XV and 50% worse than Final Fantasy VII Remake, but this is only part of the picture — information about digital RPG sales from Square Enix in the PS Store will appear only in the coming days.
However, even taking into account digital sales, the new game most likely started worse than Final Fantasy XV.
According to statistics, in the UK, digital copies of the last major single PlayStation exclusives, like God of War Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West, account for 49% to 57% of the initial circulation.
How other Final Fantasy started in the UK (physical sales only):
- Final Fantasy XIII (2010) - 170-180 thousand copies
- Final Fantasy XV (2016) - 120 thousand copies
- Final Fantasy XII (2006) - 90 thousand copies
- Final Fantasy VII Remake (2020) - 60 thousand copies (released at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, stores faced a shortage of discs, 40% of the circulation in the world was digital copies).
How the other big games of 2023 started in the UK (physical sales only):
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 208 thousand copies
- Hogwarts Legacy - 135 thousand copies
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (second week) - 56 thousand copies
- Star Wars Jedi: Survivor - 55 thousand copies
- Hogwarts Legacy (second week) - 46 thousand copies
- President Evil 4 Remake - 40 thousand Copies
- Final Fantasy XVI - 31 thousand copies
Final Fantasy XVI sales began on June 22, 2023.